The Attendance Service (formerly Education Welfare Service) works in partnership with schools and families with the objective of achieving high levels of school attendance. Its main responsibilities are carried out through Education Welfare Officers who are based within the three Integrated Children Services Locality teams which came into being in September 2009.
Every school in each locality of Westminster has a named Education Welfare Officer (EWO) who works with pupils regardless of the borough they live.
1. Raise level of school attendance and punctuality through working with the locality teams across the local authority.
2. Enforce school attendance through use of statutory powers conferred by the Education Act 1996 and the Anti-Social Behaviour Act 2003. These give Local Authorities the powers to prosecute parents or issue Penalty Notices for unauthorised absence.
3. Provide information on Children in Entertainment and juvenile work and issue licenses to children for these purpose.
4. Support to families through multi-agency working.
5. Assist pupils without school places to find schools or alternative provision.
6. Offer information and support to families who home educate their children.
For information about the service or allocated Education Welfare officer for a particular school, please contact us on the number below.
Attendance Service (Core Team)
1st Floor, 4 Frampton Street
London NW8 8LF
Tel: 0207 641 7580
Fax: 0207 641 7577
North East Children Services Locality Team:
Tel: 020 7641 7295
North West Children Service Locality Team:
Tel: 020 7641 7292
South Children Services Locality Team:
Tel: 020 7641 7297
Whatever your interest, Westminster City Council welcomes and encourages you to get in touch with suggestions for improvements to the site. Please tell us how useful this page was to you.