Direct Debit Payments
What is a direct debit?
If you have an account with a bank or building society, it is a method of payment where you don't have to worry about remembering to pay your Council Tax each month. Direct Debit is an automated way of paying the bill.
How do I set up a Direct Debit?
Before you set up a direct debit please make sure that you have your bank or building society name and account, sort code and branch address available. These details can be found on a bank statement.
|Complete an online form|
|Phone the Direct Debit Hotline on 0845 302 3400|
If you are not the bank account holder, or more than one person is required to authorise debits on this account then a paper Direct Debit Instruction needs to be completed.
A paper Direct Debit Instruction will also need to be completed if this is a business account requiring more than one person to authorise debits on the account.
Download a paper Direct Debit instruction
Can the Council send my bill by email?
The Council uses approximately seven metric tons of paper when sending out bills. You can help us save money, protect the environment and make your life easier by paying by direct debit and receiving your bill electronically. Send your request to email@example.com and we will email your next bill to you in a secure format.
What are the benefits to me?
- The choice of monthly payment dates, 1st or 25th
- No worries about remembering to pay
- No late payments, reminders or summonses
- No cheques to write out or cash to carry
- No worry of cheques getting lost or stolen in the post
- No queuing at banks or post offices
- Protection through the Direct Debit Guarantee scheme
How does it work?
Once your bank or building society has accepted that a Direct Debit can be paid from your account, we will ask them for your Council Tax instalment to be paid at the frequency you have chosen. All the work is then done by us. We notify you in advance of the payments for the year and give you at least 14 days prior notice in writing. We will issue you with advice regarding any amendments to your payments at least 14 days before the payment is due. This gives you sufficient time to query, or if required, cancel your Direct Debit. Once the Direct Debit is set up, you do not have to fill in a new form every year, unless you change your bank or building society.
Why should I change from my existing payment method?
We are committed to providing the most efficient Council Tax collection service. It is our aim to get as many customers as possible to pay using Direct Debit because it is the cheapest and most efficient method of collection with benefits for both you and us. Therefore if you want to join the thousands of Westminster customers that already pay their Council Tax by Direct Debit complete the online form or phone our Hotline on 0845 302 3400. There are also environmental benefits to be gained by paying by Direct Debit because it reduces the amount of paper we use to produce reminders and you can also have your annual bill sent to you by email.
What are the guarantees?
- The efficiency and security of the Scheme is monitored and protected by your own bank or building society.
- If the amounts to be paid or the payment dates change we will notify you at least 14 days in advance of your account being debited.
- If we make an error or one is made by your bank or building society you are guaranteed a full and immediate refund from your branch of the amount paid.
- You can cancel the Direct Debit at any time by writing to your bank or building society. It will be necessary for you to send us a copy of the letter.
How do I change to Direct Debit?
Simply complete an online form which will take a couple of minutes to complete. Alternatively telephone our hotline now on 0845 302 3400 and an advisor will take your details and set the direct debit up for you.
Was this useful?
Whatever your interest, Westminster City Council welcomes and encourages you to get in touch with suggestions for improvements to the site. Please tell us how useful this page was to you.