We can only give advice to Westminster residents. If you are not a Westminster resident, please contact your own local authority trading standards team. Alternatively please contact Citizens Advice on 08454 040506 who will be able to help.
Please be advised that your own local authority or Citizens Advice will make referrals to us should they feel we need to be made aware of the facts of a case.
Other sources of consumer advice and information
- Gov.uk provides consumers with online guidance on your consumer rights and how you can complain about goods and services
- Advice Guide provides self help guidance from Citizens Advice
- Sale of Goods Act Hub offers a range of materials explaining the law and how it applies when customers want to return goods.
- UK European Consumer Centre (UKECC) for EU citizens purchasing goods in the UK.
- Westminster Citizens Advice Bureau
- Companies House publishes information on the companies registered with them
- Office of Fair Trading promotes and protects consumer interests in the UK whilst ensuring businesses trade fairly and competitively
- OFWAT is the economic regulator for the water industry in England and Wales
- OFCOM regulates the television and radio sectors, fixed line telecoms and mobiles, plus airwaves over which wireless devices operate
- Phonepayplus regulates phone-paid services in the UK
- Energy Ombudsman deals with complaints about bills for gas and electricity and about problems when changing suppliers
- National Debtline provides useful information and advice on dealing with debt
- Advertising Standards Agency ensures advertisements are legal, decent, honest and truthful covering advertising, sales, promotion and direct marketing
The following document gives a brief summary of your consumer rights under the Sale of Goods Act:
Sale of Goods Act (1013 kb)Sale of Goods Act
Was this useful?
Whatever your interest, Westminster City Council welcomes and encourages you to get in touch with suggestions for improvements to the site. Please tell us how useful this page was to you.